Wednesday, May 13, 2009

True Love I Knew At Once




In the wee morning hours, before taking Gerrit to his 6:00 a.m. Driver's Ed class, I was reflecting on the natural order of events involving children separating from their dependence on their parents. In doing so, I felt happiness, because I know it's the way things are supposed to be, and what is parenting and family life for, if not to raise healthy, independent, future adults? On the flip side, I felt a little melancholy at the loss of the parent/child relationship as I've known it thus far, and wrote a little something to encapsulate my emotions.

True Love I Knew At Once
by Donna van Uitert
May 13, 2009 @ 5:41 a.m.

Sixteen years in life's embrace
True love I knew at once
When God extended me His grace
And you, my son, were born.

The face of Heaven's purest light
To you our Lord bestowed
And almost perfect in my sight
My eyes beheld my child.

A tear, a smile, a broken heart
The good amongst the bad
With me you share the smallest part
Our separate lives defined.

Did ever once to me you share
The secrets held within?
It now would seem you do not dare
Perhaps, you never did.

I miss you, oh, my little one
Come back to me in time
You are my moon and midday sun
On others now you shine.

The time is spent for me I fear
No longer I your choice
But you I always will hold dear
Forever, you'll be mine.

Now, I know this may sound a little depressing, but truly, it is an honest depiction of the struggle I feel between happiness and sadness in watching my children grow up and move on. It's a beautiful process, I would say, but nonetheless a real challenge for me. Any of you reading, who have already sent your children off to live their lives on their own, and build their own families, may understand the jumble of mixed emotions I am feeling. My oldest is only sixteen, but in this last year, the gap of separating from the whole and becoming more of an individual has vastly widened. It is very EXCITING to watch it happen, but I think I would be remiss in saying that it has all been smooth sailing for this here Momma Hen, who isn't quite ready to watch the chicks venture out of the coop on their own! Ah well... ready or not... it's happening! Wish me luck... :^)

No comments:

Post a Comment