Monday, May 25, 2009

Thoughts on Memorial Day
















Since visiting the cemetary today to honor our deceased loved ones, I've been rolling this question around in my mind: "Where will WE be buried and should we reserve a spot right now?" I told Kevin that it would probably be an act of kindness to our kids and other family members if we reserved us a space at the Bountiful Cemetary, where my parents have plots, and I'm assuming Kevin's parents will, as well. Then our kids can honor US in a more timely and efficient manner. How's that for control freak? Planning out my children's Memorial Day visitations for them, so they don't have to be inconvenienced?! I need help, I'm afraid... serious help. Kevin says that just as a "getcha back" after we're deceased, kind of thing, we should buy plots as far away as possible and make them DRIVE to see us... we'll show them, hmm? Actually, that would probably only serve to make our grave stones the weediest and least visited of any in the cemetary. People would pass by our markers and say, "Poor folks with the weird last name... No one loves them or even takes care of their graves!" I guess we'll just have to wait a few more years and see where we end up living the majority of our time together. Bountiful will always be home (Woods Cross for my hubby), so we can't go wrong putting in our reservation there, but if we end up living out the rest of our lives in Beaver Dam, it might be fitting to save us a spot here. After all, the Beaver Dam cemetary is only about three hundred feet from our back door!

Posted are a few pictures from our cemetary visit today. It was nice to be with family and share stories of Grandma and Grandpa Francis, Aunt Viv and Matt Warner, my cousin. After my folks and Mike & Carolyn treated us all to lunch at Taco Time, Kev and I, with the kids (minus Vanessa who was camping with a friend) went to the van Uitert's house in WX, spent a few hours visiting there and enjoyed a nice barbequed dinner of hamburgers and hot dogs with all the fixins. It was a beautiful day to spend with our families and remember, with fondness, the extraordinary lives of our loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures, Donna. I was just up in Bountiful and Ogden this weekend as well!

    I purchased 2 plots back in 1997/98. Go to my blog posts from June 2008 to get a recap of just why. I realized I have 95 posts on my blog - how they add up! It is fun to be able to capture the emotion and the experiences of our lives this way, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete