Saturday, January 30, 2010

Owls






Tonight we were surprised to hear two owls hooting in front of our house, likely in the trees on the other side of the street. They were so loud, and so close! Kevin and I were on our way out to the grocery store and Kev stepped back in the house to tell Vanessa to lock up the chickens. It reminded me of our owl experience a few years ago. Some of my readers will remember this poem and pictures, but for others it may be a first. Hope you enjoy!

The Noise in the Coop

I think I hear a noise,
In the chicken coop out back.
The chickens are asleep,
And the sky is nearly black.

My mom built us a coop,
For the roosters, ducks and hens,
Where they can all be safe,
When the foxes leave their dens.

So why is there a noise?
I better wake my dad.
To lose any of our chickens,
Would make us very sad.

The sky is changing color,
From black to morning light.
My dad is going out,
To make sure things are alright.

I can see a shape with wings,
Flapping frantically within,
But it's far too big and dark,
To be one of our chickens.

"Oh, my gosh! Can it be?"
My mom and dad just cried.
The noise I heard was coming,
From a young owl trapped inside.

It must have made it's way,
Through a hole we didn't see,
Then couldn't figure out,
How to set itself back free.

My mom is in the coop now.
It's snowy on the ground.
The owl is just keeping still,
And looking all around.

Those great big yellow eyes,
Have my mom locked in a stare.
Now, she's reaching down above him!
Oh... I would be so scared!

The owl didn't even move!
He's in my mother's hands.
They're wrapped around his wings,
And she can finally stand.

Wow! Is he a beauty!
A Great Horned Owl, I think,
Talons tucked up underneath,
And eyes that never blink.

"Can we keep him?" I ask,
But my mom shakes her head.
"He wouldn't be too happy
In a cage, locked up" she said.

"A creature that's so lovely,
One so wild and free,
Belongs back in the sky" she said.
No one could disagree.

"Let's take the owl out in front,
Where everyone can see,"
My mother held him in the air,
And there she set him free.

He's flying over all the oaks,
Past the ridge and far away.
The owl might be out of sight,
But this memory will stay.

"Now, to the coop," I cry out,
How distressed we are to see,
A duck and two hens lay silent,
As dead, as dead can be.

Although, we feel the sadness,
At the loss of our few pets,
Our time with the great horned owl,
Has left us no regrets!

Until... the next day when we find,
Two more chickens dead!
"That owl might've looked real good
Stuffed, on the mantle," Dad said.

Oh, well... live and learn,
As my mom will always say.
We'll just fix our chicken coop,
And remember our owl day.

-Donna van Uitert
September 7, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment