Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Case of the Baptismal Finger

I just have to relate this story that I heard from one of our sweet six year old primary kids today! In class, Kevin and I were teaching the kids about choosing the right and the significance of the CTR insignia. I told the kids that Jesus wants us to be happy and that choosing the right will help us live happy lives. After asking them if they remembered a time that they were particularly happy and telling them that I was especially happy on the day of my baptism, Cami Jo shot her hand up in the air.

"Yes, Cami Jo?" I said.
"Uh... when my brother got baptized his finger fell off."
Smiling at her, Kevin and I shot each other a look and Kev said, "How did that happen? His finger fell off?"
"Yes, Cami Jo... tell us. It happened when he was getting baptized?" I added.
Bobbing her head up and down she answered, "Yeah...when he was saying the prayer it came off! His pinky!"
"Wow. Did he stick it into something in the baptismal font, or something?" we questioned.
"No... it just fell off. His pinky... gone."

I looked around the class and told them that my fingers had never fallen off when I prayed and one little girl piped in, "Me neither. I wouldn't be very happy if my finger fell off." Kev and I stifled our chuckles.

After church was out, Kevin approached Cami Jo's parents about the supposed missing pinky finger on Carson, who didn't appear to have any digits missing. Her parents explained to Kev that when Carson was getting baptized, his pinky finger came up out of the water whilst he was being submerged and they had to do it again. Kevin and I started laughing hysterically! His finger didn't come off...it came "up". What a sweet girl! She was completely serious about the finger falling off and no doubt has figured it all out in her head how the pinky grew back or was put back on her brother. Aww... the innocence of youth!

1 comment:

  1. I love how kids relay stories and how their versions may get exaggerated and twisted up - too funny.

    ReplyDelete