Thursday, July 16, 2009

Marshmallows in the Snake Cage












I bought some frozen mice at the pet store today for our two snakes, and upon entering Dayton's room to feed the biggest one, I noticed what looked to be marshmallows in the snake's cage. I said to the kids, "Who put marshmallows in here? There's marshmallows right under his hideout." But then, upon closer inspection, I realized that the marshmallows were actually EGGS! Six or seven eggs! Looks like the wild Blow Snake we picked up last month was a little bit wilder than we thought... pregnant, she was! So, another month or so should bring us baby snakes, if all goes well. I really don't know what to do with the eggs, other than to just leave them be. My sister, Karen, told me to make sure and separate them before they are born, or Mommie Dearest will likely eat her young ones. I remember from studying snakes years ago that the mothers don't care for their young... simply lay the eggs and take off. Wish us luck with the marshmallows :)

2 comments:

  1. OMIGOSH that is crazy awesome! I would have thought the same thing! They look so squished - how bizarre. Keep the lid on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it sad, or what, that they all went moldy and died! Sniff sniff...

    ReplyDelete