Saturday, November 7, 2009

Audra-isms





















I forgot to mention something funny that Audra said yesterday. I challenged Audra and Marin to see who would brush their teeth first, and of course, Audra ran out of the room like a cockroach when the lights flip on. She was back within a minute or so, indicating that she really didn't brush... it's the old toothpaste on the finger technique, if you ask me. At any rate, after sending her back again to actually brush, she came back in and asked what her surprise was. I thought for a minute and said, "You can have another sweet and salty granola bar," which of course was a stupid surprise, since she had just brushed her teeth... duh. She looked at me and said, "I expect toys." Kev and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. She was dead serious and sounded like the Queen of England addressing her subjects. That girl is a hoot.


I have kept Audra home from school most of the week, due to a cough that I didn't want evolving into a flu, and with half the school out sick with the H1N1 or whatever the latest bug fad is right now, I wanted to play it safe. She was so much happier being home, it was incredible. Even with her playmate, Marin, gone all day, she kept herself busy and did her homework. Her attitude was much improved and the way she interacted with her siblings was noticeably better. Homeschool may be calling her name... at least for a little while. After all, how will I ever put together that fantastic book I'll be writing without little Audra-isms contributing to its success? Marin wrote her a letter the other day telling her how much she hoped Audra would feel better. Audra dictated to me this letter... word for word:


Dear Marin,


Thank you for the letter. I DO hope I get better and get to go to school. I'm going to have something for you when you get home. Go in the front room and your surprise will be in there!


Your Best Buddy...


Audra


I loved the grown up way she dictated this letter to me. She uses very complete sentences and has an impressive ardor with her delivery of the dictation. My favorite is, "Your Best Buddy..." Such a dolly cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment